The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) was engaged by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to conduct a research study on professional development for teachers to help identify needs and opportunities for improvement.
To inform this research, between January and March 2014, BCG engaged more than 1,300 stakeholders—including teachers, professional development leaders in district and state education agencies, principals, professional development providers, and thought leaders—through a combination of interviews and surveys. Subsequent research included a survey of 1,600 additional teachers. BCG also analyzed existing reports and market data to identify the size and composition of the overall professional development market. Interviews, surveys, and research focused on a few major topics:
• Current state professional development participation, needs, and satisfaction
• Professional development decision-making and system-level barriers and enablers
• Professional development market size and supplier landscape (key providers, products, and services offered)
• Professional development needs in the future and emerging offerings
• Areas and causes of supply and demand mismatches